Forum Title: Help with Andersen Narroline 200 Windows
We bought a house last year and this past winter was brutal. The house has Andersen doublehung Narroline 200 windows and some of them are very leaky. When you close the window, it goes all the way down but does not seem to create a good seal. The window seems to spring back up about 1/16 of an inch and creates a gap for heat loss.. Not having much experience with windows, I am not sure what would be causing the window to raise about 1/16 of an inch. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks -Dimitry
Category: Windows & Doors Post By: DEBORAH CLARK (Owensboro, KY), 01/19/2019

Rip wood strips thick enough to make up the difference and attach to the side of the door jamb that does not have hinges.

- LOUISE HUGHES (Springfield, IL), 02/27/2019

Bud, Thanks for the info. I did have someone come out and do an energy audit which was very helpful. I did most of the things they recommended but I could see light coming through the spacing of the window and window sill. Any time you can see light then that means energy loss. If you have any other suggestions, I am always willing to learn something new. Thanks -Dimitry

- PEDRO VALDEZ (Weston, FL), 02/28/2019

Since these are double hung windows that raise vertically I'm guessing you are seeing this at the bottom of the window... the only thing I can imagine is that they are maybe out of square. If the light can only be seen on one corner of the bottom, then they are probably installed out of square, which means they are not completely level and plumb. Just the fact that there is light doesn't mean a lot, though... because some weatherstrips are translucent and let light pass, but not air. If, by light you mean a clear air space that you can stick a credit card through, well then yeah... that's not right. Your best bet would be to either call the installers back or to call Andersen directly and lodge a complaint. Are you actually feeling a breeze or are you just assuming there is energy loss because you can see light? The 200 series Narrowline has a compression weatherstrip across the bottom of the sill, and 1/16 sounds like the right amount of tolerance. Weatherstripping like that does tend to get smashed but it usually will spring up and fill the void, especially if it's 1/16, so contrary to what you might think, they are still doing their job. Unless there is something wrong with your weatherstripping, like it's hard and brittle or broken.

- KATHERINE ROGERS (Topeka, KS), 03/07/2019

Home Repair Tips & Assistance For Homeowners

requestaquote Get Free Quotes callnow 888-506-9527